Missing Person Policy
Policy Number: 3349‐10‐52
Effective Date: 07/30/2013
Responsible Department: Police Department
Applies To: NEOMED students living in on‐campus housing
- To establish a policy related to locating a Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED or University) student that is living in on-campus housing and who, based on the information available at the time, is believed to be missing.
- This policy applies to all NEOMED students that are living in on‐campus housing.
- Consult University Policy 3349‐7‐01.
D.Body of the Policy
- Student Contact Information. All NEOMED students who execute a Resident Agreement for on-campus housing will be asked to register a contact person who would be contacted no later than 24 hours after the time the student is determined to be missing. A student can register a confidential contact for this situation, in addition to the emergency contact information on file with the University. A missing student’s confidential contact information will be accessible by NEOMED campus officials and may be shared with law enforcement during the course of the missing person investigation.If the student is under 18 years of age, NEOMED is required to notify a custodial parent or legal guardian not later than 24 hours after the student is determined to be missing.
- Notification. Any person who has reason to believe that a NEOMED student who is living on campus is missing should contact the NEOMED Police Department immediately at 330-325-6489 to make a report.
- Investigation. The NEOMED Police Department will conduct an initial inquiry in response to any report that it receives regarding NEOMED students living on campus that may be missing. The inquiry will seek to determine if the student is actually missing and cannot be located through reasonable efforts. The inquiry may include, but is not limited to, the following activities:
- Calling or visiting the student’s residence;
- Contacting neighbors, fellow students, and/or friends of the resident to determine the circumstances of the student’s disappearance;
- Conducting a campus search of public locations to locate the student (library, cafeteria, lecture halls, etc.);
- Access key card and FOB usage records to determine the student’s last use of either means of access;
- Access the student’s email or other network login records to determine the student’s last use of the NEOMED network;
- If the NEOMED Police Department determines the student may be at risk, they will attempt to retrieve the student’s cell phone number and attempt to have the cell phone carrier ping the phone number for location;
- Obtaining and circulating a photograph of the student to assist in identifying and locating the student; and
- Contacting the Chief Student Affairs Officer, the Dean of the college in which the student is enrolled, relevant faculty members or the on-campus housing management company for information related to the student; and
- Determination that the student is missing. A person may be declared “missing” when his/her whereabouts is unknown and unexplainable for a period of time that is regarded by knowledgeable parties as highly unusual or suspicious in consideration of the person’s behavior patterns, plans, or routines. If the NEOMED Police Department, after conducting an investigation of the report, determine that a student is missing, the University will contact the individual registered as a contact by the student when the student entered on-campus housing. In the event the student did not register a contact when executing his/her Resident Agreement for on-campus housing, the University will contact the emergency contacts on file for the student in Enrollment Services.
- Board Authorization. The Board of Trustees authorized the administration to establish and implement any and all policies to ensure compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act 20 USC §1092 (f) and to modify those policies without further ratification action required by the Board of Trustees.